Sunday, January 31, 2010

Armchair Weathermen

While shoveling the 4 inches of newly fallen snow out of my sidewalk and driveway this morning, I relished in a beautiful thought: I love the winter.

Most people say I'm crazy, especially when I'm shoveling snow, but I really do love it. I love it when the sun breaks out onto the freshly fallen snow. I love the chill in the air. Heck, I even like the exercise I get removing the stuff.

And since living in northern Virginia, I have learned to appreciate another aspect: the impact of a good snowfall on the anti-global warming crowd.

Nothing brings out the best in the anti-global warming crowd like a good snowfall. I love the comments you here from the grumbling, shoveling masses: "I sure wish global warming would get here."; "Where the hell is Al Gore to help me with this?", etc. etc.

Living in Virginia, snow really isn't all the common. But it's not unheard of either. You can usually count on a significant amount 1 to 3 times a year. It will delay schools and aggrevate your commute. If you are really lucky, you might have enough to alow you to play hooky from work. I like it for a number of reasons. However, as undoubtable proof that global warming is a big hoax, it most certainly is not.

Sure, I laugh when people make the aforementioed comments. But I wonder, is it pure sarcasm, or do I sense a hint of indoctrination in those remarks? If it's the latter, then I would like you to play close attention to the following words: The snow in your driveway is no more 'proof' that global warming doesn't exist as Hurricane Katrina was 'proof' that it does.

Let me put it this way: if Al Gore was an advocate against global warming, he would use the snow in your driveway as evidence of it's ludicrousness.

BTW, for all you people who are either upset or joyous that I am picking on the anti-global warming crowd, word of warning: the other side is going to get their's too. It just happens that it's January and the El Ninophobes are hibernating. Just wait. I'm even grumpier in July.

What bothers me about the whole debate is not what people think about global warming. It's the fact that there is so much punditry about it that nobody really knows what the truth is. For every 'fact' posted, a 'rebuttal' pops up somewhere else. There is really only one fact about global warming that I am 100 percent sure of, and I will share that with you right now:

There is alot of money vested in both sides of the global warming debate. The media folk who show up on television to interpret the facts for you have no interest in telling you the voter the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. They have an agenda, and they will use this and whatever political footballs they can find to enact that agenda, or distract you from it.

What's the truth about global warming? Heck if I know. I'm no scientist, I'm just some dummy with an opinion, no different from Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity (or if you sit on the other side of the political couch, John Stewart and Bill Mahre). I've never done a lick of research on it. Go find out for yourself and make up your own mind. Who knows, you may author the next global warming sensation, make millions of dollars and get subsequently ripped apart by your critics.

Have fun!

5 comments:

  1. Well, finally! You started blogging. Good for you. And I'm proud to be the first commenter on your blog.

    I would submit to you that (at least among the folks that I know) the jokes and sarcasm about shoveling feet of global warming from our driveways is a dig about a larger issue - the fact that:

    1 - there's been no trace of actual warming in the last decade

    2 - this is the worst winter we've had in decades, despite claims that man has ruined the environment and made the globe warm up

    3 - it's a response to knee jerky tools (read: idiots like Danny Glover) who have the podium and the audience to spout off ininvormed views, such as "The earthquake in Haiti happened because we failed to come to a consensus in Copenhagen."

    I seriously doubt it's indoctrination. I think it's an attempt to needle the environazis who take themselves WAAAAAY more seriously than those of us who don't believe for a moment that we're responsible for global warming.

    By the way, do I think it's a good idea to keep the environment clean? Yes. Do I believe we have the responsibility to be responsible citizens of this earth? Yes. Does this mean that I want the government to impose these policies by force? No.

    Welcome to the world of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog so far. Very thought provoking. I immediately told my husband how much he like my friend (you), with the comments you were making on your blog. He said "well, the fact that he has a blog, is one strike against him"... I retaliated with... "that is what he said!"

    About global warming, I tend to like being ignorant on the subject, because I don't have time to research. Also any research that you do (on internet or whatnot) has the potential of being swayed one way or the other... and I don't want to sort through that mess.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Nicki, what's funny to me is that, for points one and two, somebody has information to say that you are wrong. I'm not saying you are, but who is the average person supposed to believe? The amount of information out there about this is so plentiful, it's virtually useless.

    Point three however, I am in full concurrence with.

    Brooke, thanks for your kind words. Your husband is right though: I blog, therefore I am an ass (or asshat as Nicki would say.) Really, this is more of an effort to get writing again then it is to spout my (a)political nonsense. But if writing this is what finally gets me off my butt and working on the many other writing projects I have, I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J (I refuse to call you Johnson, because it sounds like I'm talking to a conscious penis), you're forgetting one thing:

    That information that someone has about anthropogenic global warming has recently been proven to be a fraud. They've illegally hidden that information in violation of the Freedom of Information Act, and they've broken the law by trying to hide the fact that there's been no warming of the earth the past 10 years.

    Way not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, as for whom should the average person believe regarding AGW?

    I would go with those NOT trying to hide information about the lack of global warming for the past decade. But that's just me...

    ReplyDelete